Friday, June 1, 2012

Flea Market Finds: Kimono

Whether you need to wear a kimono and its many accessories to special event, or just want to repurpose an obi as a table runner, flea markets and shrine sales are great places to pick things up on the cheap.  Keep a sharp eye out for stains, tears, and pulled thread, as just about everything sold is previously owned.  Don't let the mothball smell put you off- that's what the dry cleaner is for!  If you've got the time and patience to sift, you can really find some great treasures!

Heaps of kimono clutter up the ground.  The higher-quality kimono are on hangers.  Most
kimono are made of silk.  Look for extra special touches, like embroidery or metallic details

Obijime (the cord that wraps on top of the obi as a final touch) hang on a nearby rack.  Check these for fraying and
pulled threads.  Also check the tasseled ends for anything matted or frayed.  Black obijime are strictly for funerals.

The obiage, the fluttering piece of delicate silk that is tucked between kimono and obi.  This is, to me, the most fragile
 piece of the entire kimono ensemble.  Handle with care! Check for stains and pulled threads.  Grab a couple extra
to wear as scarves when you return to the States  (DO NOT DO THIS IN JAPAN.  YOU WILL LOOK WEIRD).

Obi, the wide belt that keeps the kimono securely fastened.  I generally bypass obi that are hanging or packaged.  They are clean and neat, but more expensive.  I usually prefer to take my chances and rummage through bins of obi, instead.

Stacks of obi.  Definitely check these for stains.  Most obi are not reversible (and if it is, buy it!
In two and a half years of Shrine Sale-ing, I've only seen one) and any stains may be impossible to
remove.  Also check the edges completely for wear and tear.  If you are planning to decorate with your
obi, open it all the way to check each end.  Nagoya obi, invented to save on fabric costs, have one
 end that tapers. You won't be able to use this kind as a table or console runner.

Don't forget about childrens' kimono!  Little TF has a couple in her dress-up box.  


Beautiful patterns and colors!  Buy a kimono for swanning about as you pour your breakfast cereal.  Or
just to hang on the dining room wall.  Little TF has a pink and cream one hanging in her bedroom.
When purchasing kimono for a specific event, I absolutely recommend taking along a Japanese friend.  The
potential for foreigners to screw this up is nearly guaranteed.  The season, age of the wearer, and formality of pattern must all be taken into account.  If you don't have a friend to drag along, I recommend purchasing Liza Dalby's  Kimono: Fashioning Culture.  There is a fantastic chapter that breaks down the basics.


When decorating your home with Japanese textiles (especially garments), please keep in mind that, to a Japanese eye, it just looks weird.  I think the closest equivalent would be if we walked into a Japanese home to see a pair of Levis or a prom gown hanging in the foyer.  Bizarre, right?  However, as soon as you return to the States, all cultural context will be gone!  That silver and gold obi could look breathtaking underneath a Christmas centerpiece.  And that elaborate wedding kimono may add just the right touch of formality to your dining room.  Worth it to make your Japanese plumber laugh to himself as he fixes your toilet (and then probably tells all his friends), right?  


As far as pricing goes, I usually pay between 1000 yen-2500 yen for regular, non-wedding, non-formal kimono (kimono that I decorate with or give as gifts, not kimono I need for tea ceremony).  Obi can be found for as little as 500 yen.  Obijime, 500 yen.  Obiage, 1000-2500 yen.  Flea markets and shrine sales are also great places for bargaining.  Get there early in the morning so as to find the best selection!


Disclaimer:  I do my best to make sure all my information is accurate.  However, details may change or I may just be flat-out wrong.  Please let me know if something needs a correction.  Thank-you!

3 comments:

  1. I totally wear the obiage as a head scarf while I'm laying by the pool at Atsugi...I would never wear it off base though, I can only imagine the looks I would receive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need a secondhand kimono for swanning about as I pour my breakfast cereal. So much more chic than the ratty old bathrobe :)

    ReplyDelete