Thursday, May 31, 2012

Let's Hang Out In Hong Kong! (The Flower Market)

In my real, United States life, I arrange flowers!  I started off in high school, designed all through college, and then kept it up until we found out there would be a Little TF.  Being a floral designer turned out to be a great, military wife job. There are flower shops everywhere! The business naturally has a high-turnover rate, so no one gives me the stink eye over my work history and how many places at which I've been employed. Hours are usually flexible; plus, working in a mostly-female environment is a nice antidote to the machismo of my other half's chosen profession.

So, speaking as a professional, I must insist that you don't miss Hong Kong's Flower Market!  The market is filled to bursting with the familiar and (to the average Westerner) the unknown. You don't have to be particularly interested in flowers or plants to enjoy this stop.  The cacophany of noise and smell and color guarantee the Flower Market to be a stop worthy of your Hong Kong itinerary!

We went to Hong Kong right before Chinese New Year.  Sellers offered little red and gold
charms to jazz up a plant or arrangement, and wish recipients luck in the New Year!

Pots of kumquat trees.  Kumquat trees are especially New Year appropriate, as the Chinese name rhymes with the
words for "gold" and "luck." Little, red bows create the traditional red and gold color scheme of Chinese New Year.

Plum blossom trees.  The plum is one of the "Three Friends Of Winter" (along with the pine and bamboo).  Relatively mild winter climates in Hong Kong (and other parts of China and Japan) mean that plum blossoms typically
start to bloom in late January.  Their delicate beauty in spite of the cold is always an encouraging sight!

Lucky bamboo surrounded by Solanum Mammosum.  In Chinese, the golden plant's name means "Five
Generations Living Harmoniously Under One Roof."  The name's wish for peace, longevity, and prosperity
makes it another appropriate plant for Chinese New Year.  I see these in Japan fairly often, as well.

Orchids!  Orchids of every size, shape, and color!

Are these even considered bonzai anymore?  They are huge!

More orchids!

This market is huge! We're just now getting to the fresh cuts!  In fact, this was
all that I got to see of the fresh flowers.  Little TF had had enough of being a good
sport.  I quickly snapped this photo and we headed off on a snack hunt.



The Flower Market is located on mainland Hong Kong, in Kowloon.  According to guide books, the hours are from 9-6.  Try to get there in the morning, when the flowers are at their best.  Lonely Planet's Hong Kong Encounter recommends taking the MTR to Mong Kok Station.  Fodor's City Pack Hong Kong recommends taking the MTR to Prince Edward Station.  We took a taxi and asked for "the flower market."  


Disclaimer:  I do my best to make sure all my information is accurate.  However, details may change or I may just be flat-out wrong.  Please let me know if something needs a correction.  Thank-you!

2 comments:

  1. Personally I think my real, United States life is going to seem kinda of lame after all this. Beautiful flowers. We did not make it here in our 24-hour stopover in HK. Maybe I will have to go back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. But after this last deployment, I might actually be ready for lame!

    ReplyDelete