Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I've Got A Kid Problem! (Gross Level: Low)

 Although most of my friends who reside off-base live in houses, apartments are usually the most common form of urban, Japanese housing.  This can create a special set of problems when you combine kids, living high above ground, and eco-friendly ventilation methods (see where I am going with this?).

Here are my living room doors! Fairly new, they let in plenty of light and give us access to a small, covered porch and the stairs that lead to our roof.  Right now, these doors are closed and locked.
 When unlocked, these doors are completely moveable.  They slide just like the wooden fusuma doors in our tatami rooms.  This is a key feature of traditional Japanese housing...that doors are moveable (or removable), the better to catch the breezes that relieve the brutal, summer humidity.

The windows in my apartment are like this, as well.  By strategically opening doors and windows to catch the breeze, I am hoping to avoid turning on the AC until June.  Call it a mini deployment goal!

This is where we come to the Kid Problem part of these brilliant windows and doors.  We live on the third floor.  The extreme ease with which these doors can move becomes terrifying when a small, climbing tornado gets added to the equation (not that I know one of those personally).  Little TF has been sleeping in a very stuffy bedroom because I am too scared to leave any of her windows open at night.  It's ok, two year olds don't mind sleeping in stuffy bedrooms, anyways.


 Remember a few posts ago, when I said that if something seems ridiculously difficult, you probably just haven't figured it out, yet?  I should have taken my own advice and realized that an entire country of parents are not living twenty floors above ground, freaking out over the imminent falling deaths of their beloved offspring.  A friend, who lives off base with her constantly jail-breaking doggie, clued me into these- moveable and adjustable window locks.

Ranging from models that require keys to versions that secure with a spin of the dial, these locks clamp or stick onto a variety of windows and doors.  Simply open your door or window to its desired width and secure the lock!

This particular lock fits onto the upper door track in Little TF's room. The dial tightens the clamp, and completely prevents either door from opening any farther.

 Here is the same clamp.  It also fits on the bottom window track.  Tightened with the dial, it prevents both windows from sliding any farther open.  Because Little TF can reach this one, I had Mr. TF tighten it.  Both door and window are now open 3 inches.  No more worries about Little TF playing Let's Be A Lemming, and no more mommy guilt that my child is sleeping with hair plastered to her forehead, just because I am trying to see how long I can go without running the AC. It's a win-win!

While purchasing window locks, I came across another Item Of Genius.  In the adjacent photo, you can see my front door.  The dead-bolt is easily flipped with a flick of the lock.  Little TF likes to unlock it for her daddy when he comes home from work.  The ease with which she can unlock the door terrifies me...how do you say, "Have you seen a small, blonde girl running down the street" in Japanese?  Fortunately, my door also has an additional lock at the top.  Since she won't be able to reach that one until she's 10 and we've long since left Japan, I can shower and sleep in peace.  No child is escaping out the front door, at least!  But, what if we lived in a house or apartment without one of those additonal high, safety locks?

Ta da! Next to the window locks was this little guy!  I didn't test it out, but the illustration seems to show the guard fitting completely over my exact model of deadbolt.  Perfect!  No small children escaping out of 20th floor apartments, either by window or door!  There were other deadbolt guard versions nearby, so hopefully you can find something that fits your own lock.  Now that you know you and your kid are comfortably imprisoned in your own home, feel free to enjoy that shower with complete peace of mind.

Ganbatte!

-The Tofu Fox


These items were found at the popular home and garden store, Viva Home.  Try looking in any hardware store that sells windows.

Disclaimer:  I do my best to make sure all my information is accurate.  However, details may change or I may just be flat-out wrong.  Please let me know if something needs a correction.  Thank-you!

No comments:

Post a Comment