Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas On The Kanto!

This is normally stuff that I put up on my Tofu Fox Facebook page, but the new changes to Facebook means only about 30% of subscribers actually see the events that I post (thanks, Facebook).  Since Little TF and I love Christmas, we can't let the season go without telling as many of you as possible about the fabulous Christmas light displays in and around Tokyo!

Tokyo Station's newly renovated facade and Christmas illuminations.
Photo courtesy of the Japan National Tourism Organization

Where To See Christmas Lights!


Japan National Tourism Organization:  A listing of the most dazzling Christmas displays in Tokyo, Miyagi, Osaka, Hyogo, Nagasaki, and Hokkaido.

Gotokyo.com: Festival Of Light 2012.  Almost a million bulbs light up some of Tokyo's tallest trees

Merry Christmas, Miyagase:  Visit the the town of Miyagase, located between Sagamihara and Atsugi, for Miyagase's fantastic Christmas displays.  Visit Santa, sip hot chocolate, ride the sparkling choo choo train, and wander across the glittering bridge that spans the lake. We did this the first year we were here, and it was so much fun that we are doing it, again. Driving directions and directions by public transportation are all on their Google-translated website, as well.  If you've got small kiddos, bring some blankets to bundle up!

Sagamiko Resort Pleasure Forest:  This park has sledding (courtesy of snow machines), a five-story maze, obstacle courses, a ferris wheel, and a Christmas light display of four million lights.  Looks like a fairly reasonable drive from Tokyo!

Yomiuri Land:  I asked one of my students to tell me her favorite place to view Christmas lights, and she picked Yomiuri Land.  Located on the Odakyu Line, Yomiuri Land has roller coasters, bungee jumping, sea lion shows, go-karts, laser tag, and lots of other rides.  For the holiday season, Yomiuri Land is presenting the Yomiuriland Jewellumination.  With display names like "jewelry road" and "diamond canyon", the Tofu Fox family might have to put this one on our To Do list!


Edited To Add:

Roppongi Hills German Christmas Market:   Do you love gluhwein, sauerkraut, bratwurst, and stollen?  Spinning Weihnachtspyramide and Kathe Wohlfahrt's wooden ornaments?  This small, but delightful, Christmas market is for you.  I spent two years of my late elementary school years living in Germany, and Roppongi Hills' market brings back all my special memories.  I can't believe I forgot to add this one!  Roppongi Hills also has plenty of lights to dazzle, with the Artelligent Christmas 2012 displays!


What did I miss?  Do you have any suggestions for must-see Christmas light displays?  


Disclaimer:  I do my best to make sure all my information is accurate.  However, details may change or I may just be flat-out wrong.  Please let me know if something needs a correction.  Thank-you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment