Friday, August 3, 2012

Lovely Lotus and Sankeien Garden.

This past Monday, an Always Adventurous Friend and I made it to Sankeien Garden for some lotus viewing!

Sankeien's famous pagoda is eclipsed by the perfect lotus.


I try to schedule a visit to Sankeien Gardens every season.  The Garden frequently hosts cultural events (tea ceremony, traditional music) that coincide with whatever lovely plant is currently flowering. or whatever Important Japanese Calendar Event is being celebrated.  My first visit to Sankeien was another Always Adventurous Friend (this one has since moved back to the States...le sigh), who invited Little TF and me to an evening of Harvest Moon Appreciation.  We wandered through the Garden's evening-darkened tea houses, shivered through sighing bamboo forests, and sat in complete silence as the music of a koto (Japanese stringed instrument) sang with the remaining cicadas and crickets.  Two years later, it remains one of my Top Three Japan Experiences (and it was too cloudy to even see the moon!).

Since then, my Sankeien Garden highlights have included a February Plum Blossom Viewing, and now an August Lotus Viewing!  I'm already marking down the Autumnal Equinox down on my calendar (It's September 22). This will be my last chance for a Japanese moon-viewing (sad face).  The website is also currently advertising a formal tea which will gather the five different Tea Ceremony schools under one roof.  I must figure out tickets!


The official Lotus Viewing Season of Sankeien Garden is over, but there were still many unopened blooms as of this past Monday!  It's fairly easy to pay a visit to Sankeien Gardens.  From Yokohama Station, head to the station's East Exit.  The bus terminals are located underneath the Sky Tower.  Look for Bus #8 or #125, bound for Honmoku Sankeien-mae. If you are going to see the lotus, try to make your visit as early in the morning as possible.  It's hot out there!


Disclaimer:  I do my best to make sure all my information is accurate.  However, details may change or I may just be flat-out wrong.  Please let me know if something needs a correction.  Thank-you!

1 comment:

  1. Woo! A shout out! I still get chills thinking about that night. I've been mentally decorating my house for fall for a week now.

    I don't think I ever went there in lotus season. Thanks for the lovely trip!

    Also, thanks for posting that JMSDF Awa pic. I've been watching for one and yours is the only one I've seen. :)

    ReplyDelete