Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Why blog?

I have a confession to make.

I already have a blog.

It's a private blog, that I only opened up to family. Begun when we moved to Japan two years ago, I wrote for about 6 months until I realized that my mother and mother-in-law (the main audience for which said blog was created) never actually read what I wrote.  They are (thank goodness) busy women.  I was not interested in opening my family posts to a wider readership. I don't have the writing gift that my other friends have.  I am not particularly witty.  Facebook already offered me (probably too much) opportunity for navel-gazing.  There hasn't been much room in my life to blog.

That was until friends from the States began to get orders to Japan.  I now find myself in the accidental role of How To Live In Japan When You Have A Kid And An Always-Deployed Husband sort-of-expert.  Not that I know much.  The longer I live here, the less I know (now that I think about it, it's kind of like being married!).  So rather than write multiple Facebook messages and send multiple emails to answer questions like:

"Can I buy organic diapers?"
"What kind of stroller should I bring?"
"How do you fly with a toddler?"
"What's your daughter's preschool like?"
"Can I buy organic milk at a Japanese grocery store?"
"I hear it's too expensive to shop off-base. Is that true?"

I will do my best to answer them here.  These are all things that I have learned, a bit through personal trial and error, but mostly because of the ENORMOUS help my Japanese friends and English students have graciously given me.  So what I have, I will share.  What I don't know, I will do my best to find out.  We military mommies don't have to be stuck using the same rotation of Exchange-Commissary-Amazon.com!  It just takes a little bit of know-how, a smattering of information, and a larger than average dose of chutzpah. =)

Ganbatte!

-The Tofu Fox

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea and you are PERFECT for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay yay YAY! I have been waiting for a blog from you all my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yessss!! Welcome to the (public) blogosphere!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. where have you been all my liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife?? Oh wait, Jill already said that. Well, look who's not witty now! :)

    SO pumped about THE TOFU FOX!!

    ReplyDelete