Thursday, April 26, 2012

Everyday Living: Flowers Everywhere!

My next-door neighbor's house.
 The Tofu Fox Family arrived in Japan at the end of January, 2010.  It was cold.  It was wet.  After 3 years split between Florida and California living, winter on the Kanto Plain (which is actually relatively mild) came as quite a shock.  Add to that the heating difficulties of our apartment, and I thought spring would never find me.

Of course, winter  eventually passed.  Spring in mainland Japan is possibly the most lovely spring of any country on earth.  From the arrival of the cherry blossoms in late March and early April, to the hydrangea and iris of June, Japan is in constant bloom.  Just about every plant or tree in my neighborhood will flower, if I watch it for long enough.

Disclaimer: If you are thinking of living off base when you move to Japan, be aware that my photos have edited out a lot of concrete and a lot of overhead wires and a lot of apartment buildings and a lot of people.  Do with that information what you will.
Most private gardens are fenced and gated.
Gardens run the gamut from wild to manicured.

Fresh, red maple leaves peek over high walls.

One of my favorite gardens on my street.  

Some gardens feature a lovely, stone lantern.

Even those without gardens carve out some space for flowers.

Spilling into streets...

No space is too small!

Say hello to my window box of pansies!  They are home to a
very happy coconut pig from Guam.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow Mary those gardens and small flower patches are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete