Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Let's Appreciate Kimono!

Eventually, I will do an in-depth post on how to appreciate kimono.  I just don't know enough at this point.  Until then, enjoy a bit of information and pretty photos of seasonally appropriate kimono!


This is the window display kimono at my neighborhood's corner kimono shop.  The coordinating obi (belt) is hanging on the right.


Note the chrysanthemum, pine, maple leaves, plum blossoms, and bamboo.  These motifs, combined with the over-all pattern, make this a kimono that is appropriate for all seasons.*

Bottom left detail

*Note:  My Japanese friend told me this is an all-season kimono based on my over-the-phone description.  I may have done a poor job explaining; it may not, in fact, be appropriate for all seasons.  In that case, my apologies.


Update:  One of my Japanese friends just explained that this type of kimono is called "houmongi", which is semi formal. This type of kimono has designs on the right shoulder and left bottom corner.  This would be appropriate to wear when visiting persons of higher rank, receiving a proposal, or attending a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment