Thursday, January 10, 2013

Almost As Good As Chicken Soup.

Mr. TF and I spent the entirety of last weekend coughing, shivering, sniffling, and wallowing in the general misery that is the common cold.  Our Caucasian immune systems were meant to stay on the other side of the world, so this delightful common cold was made a bit un-common with the additions of muscle aches and fevers.  Little TF spent the weekend keeping as much distance between her and her disgustingly ill parents, as possible.  It was an excellent strategy...she's not sick, yet (knock on wood)!

Of course, I turned to chicken soup (with homemade stock!) to combat the germs, along with chamomile tea and fresh lemon.  When I ran out of chamomile tea, I immediately turned to this jar of citrusy goodness- my yuzu honey tea from this past autumn's visit to Korea Town.  Sweet and soothing, I drank so many steaming mugs of yuzu honey tea that my jar is now almost empty.  Curious about what home remedies the Japanese use to combat colds, I texted my friend, "We've got chicken soup...what do the Japanese have?"  She texted back, "Porridge and yuzu honey tea."  




Porridge, I decided to take a pass on.  Yuzu honey tea, I was already doing!  The citrusy goodness was hard at work, soothing my hoarse throat, clearing my stuffy nose, and warming my feverish chills.  Perhaps there is a little Japanese in me, at last?



Big jars of this yuzu tea can be found in the grocery stores that stuff Tokyo's Korea Town, and even (rumor has it), Costco!  Made In Japan yuzu-flavored honey can also be found in Japanese stores (I've purchased it from a gourmet honey store in Kawagoe).  The Japanese type of yuzu honey can be added to hot water as well, but it doesn't have the delicious chunks of preserved yuzu that the Korean version has. If you are back in the States, this website sells chunky yuzu honey tea by the jar!  I had trouble finding it via Google search until I noticed a blurb on another website and changed my search parameters to "honey citron tea."  Ta da!  Korean yuzu honey!  I'm so excited that I will still be able to get my fix after our return to the States. Common colds, beware!

Disclaimer:  I do my best to make sure all my information is accurate.  However, details may change or I may just be flat-out wrong.  Please let me know if something needs a correction.  Thank-you!


No comments:

Post a Comment